Existing Markets
- What I think is next:
- In terms of what's next for my product and services in my ventures, after the homeless situation is stable or lowered in Gainesville I was thinking of expanding these services to other parts of Florida. What I mean is that I'll go to the next city in Florida that is also suffering from homelessness and to offer my services to help lower it, because I know Gainesville is not the only place in the world that is dealing with it's citizens becoming so poor to the point of being homeless and the same could be said about Florida as well. Somewhere in the world homelessness is a reality for many people, so slowly I plan on expanding my services world wide to deal with this problem.
- Interviews:
- For interviewee #1 I spoke of what my business does and what I plan on doing next in my venture and I asked them what I should do be doing that I wasn't planning on doing, and they suggested I should offer this service to poor people because if they don't receive help soon they'll just end homeless as well, so better to stop the problem before it starts. Next I told them I plan on expanding my service to other cities of Florida once the homeless problem is under control and they said I should go for it.
- For interviewee #2 I told them about my business like the first interview and asked them what I should do that I wasn't planning on doing and what she suggested I do is to a volunteer program where people could gain community service hours or just volunteer because they feel like it. I told them about how I wanted to expand my service to other cities of Florida once the population of homeless goes down and they fully support the idea.
- For interviewee #3 like the previous two I told him about my business and got their input on what they think I should do and what he told me is to spread the word on my service to other cities because if I was planning on expanding my service (which I later told them I was) I could use extra financial support when starting these businesses in other locations. Since I told them I was indeed planning on expanding my service they were all for it to happen.
After listening to the feedback of the three people I interviewed and placing it with my expectations I got a decent idea in the direction on where to go for my business. Each of these people had similar yet different ideas on what it is I should be doing that I wasn't planning to do and they all agreed with my idea of expansion. Meaning I will have support when the time comes to expand the service to other cities.
In my opinion what makes the most sense in regard to growing my venture is that like the first interviewee said I should also focus on having these services available to poor people to expand the customer type. I feel like this feedback made the most sense since if I can stop people from becoming homeless in the first place I could stop the problem at its roots.
New Market:
- Different Market:
- Since my original target was homeless people the next market I plan on targeting will have to be regular people or rich people and since I can't really get access to anyone in the latter I will have to choose regular people as my new market. And what I mean by regular people is people who can maintain a job and are currently not in a financial situation.
- Value for People in this Market:
- Since I was mainly focusing on a venture for people who don't have much or anything, finding a venture that is of value for everyday people like you and me is something much more difficult. But if I were to create a venture for this I would have to choose something that could better the lives of the market customers.
- Interviews:
- For interviewee #1 I asked them what kind of venture I could create to better the lives of people. The kind of adaptations they gave me for a venture to better someone's life was maybe start with something that could deal with one of the many minor annoyances in the world.
- The second interviewee suggested that I could better the lives of people by perhaps create something that makes someone living in their home more secure, perhaps something in the line of a new kind of security system or security service.
Reflection:
After conducting the interviews I've learned that the general market area of regular people and the venture of making life more comfortable to their needs has a very broad perspective. Meaning that there are numerous amounts of opportunities that could be obtained from this venture and I don't know where to begin. My expectations for this venture was that hopefully I could have found something that the people I interviewed had in common which I did not find.
What surprised me the most was the second interviewee suggestion of a new security service or system, I found this surprising because there are already so may I don't even know where to begin on improving or creating something new. As for this new market I don't find it as appealing as my current market because at the very least the need and opportunity is obvious. While for the market of regular people compared to homeless people have different wants and needs so I'll have to look into this new market more in the future.
I really like the idea of getting volunteers to help out with your company. Many high school students are looking for opportunities to fill up their volunteer requirement and you could certainly use that to help. I also agree that, if the first program is successful in Alachua County, you should look into spreading it to other parts of Florida.
ReplyDeleteDefinitely looking towards volunteers is a great idea. This would marginally cut down on your costs, and there are a lot of high school students who are looking to complete their volunteer requirements. I think that you should also look towards areas that would set your business against other competitors, because there are already a lot of free homeless shelters that exist that are operating without making any profit. How would you compete against them?
ReplyDeleteWhen reviewing your existing market interviews and thinking behind it, I believe you wanting to expand outside of Gainesville is amazing. To think that one day the homelessness issue in Gainesville could be resolved, is just an amazing thing to envision. But as you touched on, the problem is greater than Gainesville and many people need assistance.
ReplyDeleteTo see the suggestion from the first interviewee is brilliant. Helping the poor before they reach the homeless stage is so good.
When looking at the new market, I do understand your confusion on how to proceed. This is difficult and I am sure it just takes a little guidance from someone who is already in this field. I am sure there are many non-profit organizations that work with the homeless and they would be able to guide your efforts a little better.