Tuesday, February 5, 2019

9A- Testing The Hypothesis Part 2


  • Who: For these new set of interviews I am going to conduct, I tried to find people who can relate to the issue of being homeless more than other people can as well as some normal as well, these will be different than the people who I've interviewed in the past. One person that I interviewed was somebody who by the looks of it was sleeping on a bench judging by the covers on the bench. And the shopping cart full of an assortment of clothes and other cloths next to them gave me the impression that they were struggling so, to not impose on them for too long I asked them questions on the matter. They said any help to the homeless would benefit anybody because you may never know if you will end up in this mess. He also mentions as a side note that people need to be willing to accept this help because there are some people who need this help but don't want it, whether it comes from self pride or just refusing the help of others not everyone will want help but do it themselves.
  • For my next interview I interviewed a passing grocery store worker who I assume was on break or their shift ended I wasn't sure and I forgot to ask. However here this interviewee told me that the program ideas are something that they would use if they were homeless. Being poor is one thing but losing someplace to live is something far worse is what they told me.
  • The third interviewee was someone who was working at a fast food place and earning minimum wage. He told me that the idea regarding having to create programs that will give homeless people a place to live and one that will help them get a job could be of great help to people. He told me that even though he wasn't living off minimum wage there are some people in the world who are and if they were to lose their job it would be difficult for them to pay their bills and lose there their home.
  • I decided to interview two college students here on UF on the matter seeing as I interviewed three people who to some extent can relate if certain conditions were met. One of the people didn't have much insight on the matter but did mention that they have seen the issue out in the world with people losing their jobs and the second person gave me a bit more thought on the matter by saying that even with the programs created to help them there is no guarantee that it could fix the homeless issue permanently.
  • What: Interviewee #1 made a good point on saying that some people are to proud for their own good so I will have to make the programs seem like something that one can trust and to be easily approachable.
  • Why: The underlying cause of the need is different because in the world their are some people who fall on the category of poor and while they may have enough to at the very least sustain themselves they don't fall under the homeless category of having no home. Even so poor people with enough passing time could end up homeless, so the difference between the two is minimal compared to ones with big differences like people with high paying jobs or people of the normal class.
                             Inside the Boundary                                          Outside the Boundary

Who:           Poor or homeless people. People                     People with high paying jobs.
                    care about the lives of those people                 People who don't care about their fellow
                    and wish the best for them.                              man.

What:          To help homeless people get back on              To help people who are financially okay or
                    their feet by getting them a place to                or have a job already find another job or 
                    live and helping them get a job.                      give them a place to live.

Why:           There is an increase in homeless people          People with gambling problems.
                    due to them unable to pay their bills or           People who never could find a job.
                    be laid off from work.                                      People in need of a place to stay yet have
                                                                                             the money to buy or rent a home.

3 comments:

  1. The quality of these interviews is actually astonishing. The program responses given by your highly vetted interviewees reflects that the "why" of your opportunity is a resounding success. The obstacles that this opportunity faces is what you have outlined as the "why" for the people who don't have use for your service can be overcome with additions to your program.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You definitely selected from a wide range of people who do not currently face the issue but at some point, may. I also found it interesting how you selected from such a wide range of people, so that you could get the best results. You also made a clear distinction of people who were inside or outside of the boundary, and why this issue could apply to both groups and be helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you did a good job highlighting the people who are likely outside the boundary. I hadn’t thought about people who were too prideful to accept help, but that is definitely a consideration that should be made. Another one might be those who are abusing drugs or alcohol, as they might not even be aware that they need help.

    ReplyDelete