- Opportunity: In Gainesville there seems to be a rather big increase in homeless people and the ideas that I had obtained through long thinking and speaking with other people gave me the knowledge I needed to probably solve this problem, delay it at best.
- Now there are some people who actually pay attention to the world around them they may have noticed that there is more people with cardboard signs praying for help or more people begging for spare change. What I hope to accomplish is creating programs that could help deal with the many factors that leads to different people ending up poor to the point of losing their home. I would like for this to not only benefit a homeless person but a family that has been unlucky enough to be in this situation.
- Some of the ideas for the programs I want to implement include:
- Creating a program whose job it is to help homeless people find a job that fits their skill set and help them get back on their feet. See when a person get laid off from work it is sometimes difficult for them to know where to look for the best option of work.
- Second a different program that if a homeless person did manage to get a this program would give them a temporary shelter until they have enough for their own living space. Its sounds similar to a homeless shelter but in reality it would be something like a homeless apartment for them to live at until they get back on track instead of being jumbled up together with other people.
- I want to make any of these programs helpful and to actually make a difference in the world. Currently there is nothing I can do because in order to implement these ideas to become reality I will need money and many workers as well. Also there is no guarantee that these plans will work. But it is a start as good as any.
- I think that somewhere in the world there are people who see this as an issue too. Perhaps if these programs were to not get anywhere on the matter it, what could be done to delay the problem from increasing more rapidly would be to build more homeless shelters so that the ones already exist don't get too full. Now while it may seem like a waste of resources to build another building just to house homeless people I can assure you it could make a difference and if the issue were to be delay maybe the future generation would be able to find an opportunity from this.
Friday, February 1, 2019
8A- Solving the Problem
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I think these ideas are a really good start. For the second idea, this program could potentially turn a profit, if done in a way that benefits both the homeless people and the program directors. If the program is run by real-estate agents, they could hire homeless people to help with house flipping and live in the home while they flip it. This can continue throughout multiple homes, helping them earn money for their work and giving them somewhere to stay the night.
ReplyDeleteThis is a great solution that you posted, however, you should keep in mind that there is not one-fit solution to solve this problem. You have to keep in mind that people don't just end up homeless overnight, there is a series of events that leads them to being in their current situation. There should be included different rehabilitation centers for those who are addicted to substances, there should be methods to help people find jobs, there should be health institutes for people who are sick. The idea you presented is a fantastic start, and it would be a great thing to be able to help people who need it and get them back on their feet!
ReplyDeleteI think this is a great idea since it would not just give them a home but also to help them get a job. I also think a great addition to your idea would be to provide services where if they don’t have the skills necessary then they can learn skills through the program such as interviewing skills. Also, it would be a good idea to lend them clothes needed for an interview and helping them create a resume and everything they would need to help them get a job.
ReplyDeleteI think that particularly the homeless problem in Gainesville is concentrated in very visible places near the University, because it generates the most traffic and is viable for donations. That's just a comment from me noticing such a trend. However, I am not aware of any homeless outreach programs in the city of Gainesville, as it is a college town primarily and the greater Gainesville population and its problems are often overshadowed. In addition to your plan, I think it would be beneficial to maybe have a liason group of junior counsellors or career planners to volunteer and get experience with helping these guys out. Having Gators in Greater Gainesville reaching out to try and make a difference sounds like a good idea. I don't know much about housing, but because there's college students trying to find housing as well, a space for an affordable non-profit building might be a bit hard. Good job though!
ReplyDeleteI think you raise really important insights and possible solutions to help address the homeless problem. Homelessness affects every city and there are always new ways to help fight it. I agree that it's definitely difficult to address without a large amount of funding and workers which is why it's usually addressed by a governmental organization. I think if you flesh out your ideas and how to specifically help fight the issue of homelessness of Gainesville and find funding from it (whether through philanthropic donations or the government) you can be successful with it.
ReplyDelete